Hill Country Hurricane Help
Many of us here in the Hill Country have strong ties to Rockport, Port A, and Houston. Many of you have homes, friends, and family in the effected areas. Some of my favorite places in Rockport have sustained heavy damage or been wiped off the map entirely. People are without power, surrounded by floodwaters, and in desperate need of basic necessities, food, and water. Organizations need a lot of help and need monetary donations in order to get people the help they need.
If you cannot get down to help in person, you can still help those in need.
How To Help:
- Give Blood.Give Blood. Major injuries from the storm mean blood shortages. One donation can save multiple lives. The South Texas Blood & Tissue Center has many locations accepting donations. Find one HERE.
- Amazon Smile. Help those in need by doing your normal Amazon shopping. Simply choose a charity you want to donate to and shop like normal. It doesn’t cost you anything but helps do so much good. I currently have The Aquarium at Rockport Harbor as my chosen charity. They were completely destroyed during Hurricane Harvey.
- Text HARVEY to 90999 to donate $10 to the American Red Cross or CLICK HERE TO DONATE.
- Air BnB has a page to list your rental or a room so that those fleeing the area have someplace to stay. If you have room consider listing it to help someone in need. LIST YOUR SPACE HERE.
- Text UWFLOOD to 41444 to donate to the United Way Flood Relief Fund. OR DONATE HERE.
- Humane Society. The Humane Society helps pets and wildlife impacted by the hurricane. Give to their disaster relief HERE.
- SPCA Texas. There have been thousands of pets displaced by the storm. DONATE HERE to help Texas animals.
- Donate to The Salvation Army’s Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. CLICK HERE TO DONATE.
- The Texas Diaper Bank needs help providing aide to families with small children donate here.
- The Rockport-Fulton Chamber of Commerce has set up a GoFundMe account to help with recovery efforts. You can DONATE HERE to help Rockport directly.
*UPDATE* If you want to donate items directly to Rockport Coldwell Banker D’Ann Harper Realtors is accepting donations at their office. They will be taking down supplies on Friday September 1st so please drop off soon! Needed items are listed in the photo below.
IF YOU ARE SEEKING ASSISTANCE/ REFUGE FROM HURRICANE HARVEY:
- Find an open shelter near you by texting SHELTER and your zip code to 4FEMA (43362). You can also use the FEMA mobile app.
- Air B&B is offering FREE accommodations for evacuees checking in between August 23rd and September 1st. If you need a place to stay CLICK HERE.
- Call the Red Cross at 877-500-8645, or find a list of open shelters here.
- Call the United Way Helpline at 211 for information on shelters and other forms of assistance.
- The Texas Association of Business has established a hotline to provide resources to business owners affected by the storm. Call 512-637-7714 or see the website.
- Texas State Park camping is free to hurricane evacuees.
Hurricane Harvey has caused damage but if we work together we can rebuild and restore our communities and emerge from the flood waters stronger than ever.
#TexasStrong #RockportStrong #PortAStrong #HoustonStrong